History

Coldstream Church History

The first Church on this High Street site was built in 1705.  The current Parish Church retains the 'pepperpot' tower from that first building which remains a distinctive feature of the Coldstream skyline.  The rest of today's Church was built during the first decade of the 20th century, a period characterised by simple and very attractive Church buildings with beautiful stone pillars and plenty of light.  The Church as it is today was opened in 1908.

In the early 1840's, the printing of bibles was monopolised by two private individuals with the result that bibles were very expensive to buy.  The minister of Coldstream Parish Church, Rev. Adam Thomson, was appalled by this state of affairs and set about breaking the monopoly.  With his own money he started the ' Coldstream Free Bible Press' to sell and print cheap Bibles.  At a stroke the cost of purchasing Bibles in Scotland halved.  In 1845 over 178,000 Bibles were printed in Coldstream and sold in Scotland.  In it's hayday the Coldstream Free Bible Press was employing over 100 people at it's premises in Bookie Lane, just off the Market Square.  Adam Thomson had used his life savings to support the Bible Press and unfortunately, at the age of 73, he became bankrupt when printers in England flooded the market with even cheaper Bibles.  Allthough he was completely succesful in his aim of reducing the cost of Bibles for the ordiary people, he and the Manse family were reduced to poverty.  However, such was the regard in which he was held throughout Britain that a testimonial - consisting of donations from well - wishers amounting to £3000 - was presented to him so that he and his family were well provided for.  A copy of a Coldstream Free Bible Press Bible is on show in a display case near the main west door.

The Kings and Regimental colours of the Coldstream Guards were presented to the Coldstream Parish Church in 1921 and hang in the Chancel.

A much more recent addition to the Church is the beautiful circular Flodden Window above the north door, gifted by the Flodden 1513 club of Coldstream and installed in March 2009.  The 500th Anniversary of the battle of Flodden - which took place four miles away at Branxton - was commemorated recently in September 2013.  The five stained glass windows in the Parish Church are all beautiful and a quiet walk round the Church is very informative.